Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lucca (Last day before leaving for Roma)





Up early and a nice breakfast prepared by our hostess Anna again. This was the first morning I was sitting with other people and I met a couple from Norway who were here for a few days before heading back to their home. Very nice and we chatted all about life in Norway and the EU and all kinds of interesting things. I learned Norway is not as cold as I thought but certainly not warm in winter. They do only get a few hours of sunlight in the winter months but it's much worse in the North of Norway because they get no sunlight at all in the winter and only sunlight all day in the summer months. We were then joined by a newlywed couple from Surrey, England. Well she is a native of Belfast, Ireland and him from Germany but they met in a pub in England about 8 years ago when she got drunk and threw up on him and it was love after that.  It's amazing how much of a person’s life story you can get over breakfast. And amazingly they are headed to Baden-Baden for the spas. She's the first person I've talked to since I got her, especially the Germans I've met who had any interest in the town.  She was so excited and we call chatted about how everyone is naked and the Norwegian couple were very funny about it because for Scandinavian’s, especially the Finish, naked is the only way to go. Apparently the Finish people invented saunas or the ones we use today anyway. The German man said it's just the way it should be and Germans just like to be naked and his wife commented that her husband would much prefer to be naked all the time. Again, the information you get from people over a croissant and some jam.




I walked a lot today just trying to get in anything else I missed while I've been here and I saw the botanical gardens which I didn't realize were there. I had even taken a picture of the lily pond on the first day and didn't realize it was an official botanical garden. I also went to the Palazzo Pfanner and sat in the Baroque garden with the wonderful fountain surrounded by statues and the gorgeous flora. They even have a bamboo forest which is really nice and a surprise and I kind of surprised this English man who was walking ahead of me clearly thinking his wife was behind him and he was just going on and on about things and pointing out birds and making comments and when I finally answered him, as I knew he was waiting for a response, he just made a startled laugh. His wife joined us shortly thereafter so we all chatted about the bamboo and then parted ways.

I sat in the gardens for a while doing emails and getting some work done but the Wi-Fi was acting up so I moved on and took a long, long, long walk instead and did my computer work a little later.

I found this museum on Lucca's history told through the eyes of a Medieval  warrior in the passage ways that are beneath the enormous wall that circles the city. I can't remember if I saw this last but it was packed with people so I  guess I'm not the only one just walking around stumbling on things. You can see the warrior on his horse in the background of the picture.





In some of the pictures you just see details of buildings like a church I liked the signage and the beautiful fresco above the door. Or the old tower soaring above the rose garden. I also couldn't resist just random pictures of old buildings that connected to new ones and a residential building with laundry hanging outside. Those are some of my favorite things to see, real life, and real people. And in the picture along the river with the large pillar with the Virgin Mary on the top if you look closely under the pillar there is a water fountain and two locals filling up their water bottles. I observed this happening several times today, I think because it's Sunday and everyone is home and doing their weekly choirs, but they all had these bottle carriers with large empty plastic bottles in them and at different water faucets I would find people filling up their weekly bottles. I love the day-to-day stuff it makes me feel less like I'm a visitor and more like I'm part of their world.

I also went into the church where Puccini was baptized. I may not have mentioned before but he was born and raised her. I tried to imagine this morning what his parents and the priest and his family were thinking when they brought him to church that day to be blessed. Could they have had any idea of the musical genius that was then being sprinkled with holy water and blessed oils.




So off once again to walk the city and have a snack and walk the city and have another snack. Thank goodness I walk so much, this snacking could be a bad thing but I really do feel I'm losing weight not gaining it and I do try to limit my snacks to small items but one can't help but get hungry when she's out all day and besides one needs a few potty breaks and well-timed snacks are the perfect time.

I also, around 6pm when I was beginning to really get tired, I stopped off at the Hotel Ilaria, a really nice place with a comfortable seating area to just relax and read. The great thing about the best hotels in the world, it's free to sit in the lobby and this one was particularly comfy because it was small and the blue and gold decor and the old maps of Italy made it very homey.

So finally it was time for a proper meal of pasta and salad, yum, yum and although the spaghetti alla carbonara was very good my mom's and my cousin Paula's is still much, much better.

Finally back to the hotel to write the blog, answer emails and send out some resumes and housesitting inquires. Oh, a very long but wonderful day!!!