Thursday, September 13, 2012

Venice/Venezia - Day 1

PICTURES ARE IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER.



I took the overnight train late from Munich and sat in a cabin with 4 adorable very early 20-something young men, two from Russia, 1 from England and 1 from Germany. We chatted very little as everyone was exhausted and they all fell asleep almost immediately. I sat up and did some reading so I only got about an hour and a half of sleep but that's normal for me when I travel. For some reason I just can't sleep I always want to be seeing what's going on out the windows. And at that time of night it wasn't much. But we went through Germany to Austria and then into Italy.







We arrived at 8:30am almost exactly on time. When I exited Santa Lucia train station I knew exactly what to do and where to go because this was my 3rd glorious visit, so excited. I picked up a three day boat (their version of a subway) and off I went directly to Lido where my hotel was. Lido is a long narrow Island and all three times I've visited Venice I've stayed here. It's much less expensive and also still very beautiful. I'm staying at the Reiter Hotel right down the road from the boat stop and it's lovely. Old, and no elevator but the location is perfect and the staff is so accommodating.  My room wasn't ready for about 4 hours so I took a long 2 hour walk around the south end of the Island where I hadn't explored during the last two visits and then went back to the Hotel had the owner lock my important stuff in the safe and off I went with one of their towels to play in the Adriatic Ocean. It was fabulous and amazing and simply perfect. It was a warm day and the water was almost warm and certainly not cold so it was great.  I played with others who were out and about having a fun day at the beach. You've got to love this island because the locals really do make the best of their home town. Before I went for my walk I got a small sandwich for breakfast at a cafe and it was like watching the chamber of commerce operate. Everyone was stopping in for coffee and hugging and kissing one another and chatting about general stuff and then off they went to go shopping with their carts or walk their dogs. It's so social and by that time it was almost 10:00am so I couldn't figure out when all these very professional people worked. And the kids were out and about as well like there was no school or something. It's just a happy social group on this island and they do make you feel welcome.








So after a quick shower I headed to the main Island and walked and walked and walked and stopped for a snack and then walked and walked and walked. I love this place it's a walkers paradise. I also, because I have an unlimited three-day pass on the boats just bopped around when it started to rain. It's the raining season in Venice but that's fine, it's still wonderful here.  I took the boat over to the Island or Murano where I hadn't visited on my last two times. It's a lovely island with charming shops and I even sat through the last showing of the glass blowing process. He made a horse. The picture is a little blurry but I liked the image anyway. Then I stopped off in a church where they were repairing the floor tiles so it was interesting to watch them work. By the time I made it back to the boat it was pouring and lightening but it didn't stop anyone from enjoying the visit. The ride back to the main island was interesting with the rough waters and dark green water. I loved it!!! Also, what I didn't know was there is one medium sized island in front of Murano that is their grave yard. It's very old and completely enclosed by a large, beautiful old brick wall. I had also seen the Lido grave yard/mausoleum when I was on my long walk and it was also so beautiful and there is an old part where you can't even see what was written on the headstones anymore and they have leaned in different angles so it's sad but beautiful with the overgrown greenery. It's strange how peaceful walking through a place like this can be to see how far back the families of this great town go I saw a women's plaque in the mausoleum, I think the oldest in that section she was born in 1886 and died in 1986. There seemed to be a lot of longevity with the families on Lido and I'm sure that is part in due to the calm and friendly atmosphere.

After getting back to the main island I walked and walked and walked some more and then stopped off at this little shop for what I would say is Italian tapas. I had two tiny sandwiches and a fish and veggie fritter. Yum, yum, is all I can say and the whole meal, which was very filling I couldn't even finish the last fritter was only 5.20 euros. Perfect dinner. I love these small places better than going to a regular restaurant because there is so much more atmosphere and the place was filled with locals which I love.

So after a long walk to the boat I headed about around 8:30pm because I was exhausted after not having slept the night before. I was a bit wet when I arrived but that is to be expected but what a wonderful, wonderful day!!! Oh, yes and on the job hunt side, I submitted my information to three schools but only one got back to me so far and said they were impressed with  my background but unfortunately didn't have an opening for me. I knew it was a long shot for Venice but at least I tired.