After the usual morning feedings I took Teddy for a nice
hour long walk through several pastures and even past some horse. There are
apparently several horse farms right behind this house. The pastures are
gorgeous and with all the sunlight today it was perfect. Well Teddy isn’t the
best at walking, he pulls and is always getting into some hole, bush or dirty
puddle but when I do get one of those moments just to look around and enjoy the
scenery, I do.

I got the animals all settled at home and headed off to
Snape Malting again to take the river cruise. The brochure I got the other day
describes the tour thusly “Our river trips run from late spring to early autumn
and offer a 45 minute return journey from Snape to Iken taking in the stunning
nature and scenery of the River Alde.” I took the 1:45pm trip aboard the
Enchantress and it was high tide so we didn’t see many birds but we saw a
harbor seal, or rather the head of the seal bopping to and fro in the water.
Captain Steven Wilson gave us a little history here and there but basically we
just enjoyed the incredible views of homes, boats and natural beauty.

I had a snack and something sweet at the tea room at Snape
Malting and then took the 4:02pm bus back to Tunstall where I walked around a
bit and found a produce stand at a tiny, tiny farm near the village center. I
loved it because they have free-range eggs, just what I needed and I loved how they
just leave the food on shelves near the sidewalk with a sign that says “Produce + Prices are inside the shed.” and “Please put money inside the safe in the shed.” I picked up my half
dozen of eggs and went to the shed and yes, there was small bags of potatoes, lettuce
and random other veggies as well as a safe with a little cut out on top to put
your money. I left my 1 pound in the safe and off I went with my eggs. This was just so
adorable and exactly how I’ve always imagined country life in England to
be.
Actually I imagine it's just like country life in Vermont or Maine or Alabama, pretty much anywhere in the country. I also saw they still delivery milk I
glass jars and leave them outside your home.
So that was the day and now I’ll do some work and read and
hope the animals behave. Right now Olie the big white cat is cleaning himself.
Teddy, the dog is asleep next to me and the other two kitties are just being
kitties.
Here is a little information I found on the River Alde:
“The River Alde is a river in Suffolk, England, with a
source near Laxfield in the same area as the River Blyth. Initially a stream,
it becomes tidal and widens considerably when it reaches Snape. It meanders
east past Aldeburgh, after which this part of the river was named. The river
becomes the known as the River Ore as it approaches Orford where it once
entered the sea; however the mouth of the river has now been pushed some five
miles further south as shingle has accumulated over hundreds of years after
which it splits to form Havergate Island and is joined by its tributary, the
Butley River, before reaching the sea at Shingle Street.

The lower reaches of the river passes through marshland and
shingle or sand beaches. The shingle spit that blocks the river, Orford Ness,
is now some 10 miles in length and is owned by the National Trust, previously
being a secret military base where tests with radar were carried out. The main
area through which the River Alde flows is open countryside in private
ownership, much of it arable farmland.
The tidal reaches (below Snape Bridge) are within the
Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, as well as being a
Site of Special Scientific Interest, a designated Special Area of Conservation and
a Special Protection Area. An RSPB reserve, Boyton Marshes, is situated between
the River Ore and the Butley River. A registered charity, the Alde & Ore
Association, exists to "preserve and protect for the public benefit the
Alde, Ore and Butley Creek rivers and their banks from Shingle Street to their
tidal limits".

During Tudor times, the river served as a port from which
four ships were launched to fight against the Spanish Armada. The river no
longer serves as a port but as an area for yacht club members to gather to
sail.”

And on a sign near the Snape Bridge it talks about how about
300 years ago this was a place for smugglers and that bridge was an extremely
dangerous, basically the bad part of town. You would never guess it now it’s
such a thriving community of artists, shops, restaurants and luxury condominiums.