The church is so beautiful especially to the right and left of the alters where there are stunning statues on high alters and the Virgin Mary statue is breathtaking and was lit beautifully being that it is Christmas Eve. Mass was going on so I stayed and enjoyed looking at the details that make this such a special church. I also learned from our tour guide that the gold globe that is at the base of the cross found at the very top of the dome (you can see it in my picture included) is like all other churches with those globes under a cross at the top of a dome or church roof and holds the plans for the church just in case there is an earthquake or something that destroys the church the globe and cross would be the last to fall and therefore easy to find. The rescued plans would then be used to rebuild the structure to it's original design where possible. I noticed more of those globes on other churches we passed and I know now I'll be looking out for them. In all the years I've been touring around and in and out of churches I've never had anyone tell me that so I'm excited to see how often they appear.
There was a small Christmas market in the piazza near the cathedral so I stopped at some of the booths to taste the cheese and meats, again yum, yum. I didn't buy anything to eat because the bus was picking us up soon to take us the hour back to the hotel for lunch.
The ride was spectacular and the road, narrow and winding, takes a great deal of time and patience to navigate but lucky the driver seemed at ease with all the close corners. The villa's we've seen are spectacular and many have been turned into hotels but some still remain as private homes and people like George Clooney own them or royalty or just families whose ancestors have owned them for centuries in some cases.
After a scrumptious lunch we took a small ferry to Bellagio where we got to walk around for an hour and half and enjoy the charming streets and beautiful small buildings and large, elaborate villas. It was pretty quiet as most hotels and shops are closed for the winter season but I liked it better this way with few tourists and just a few shops to look in the windows and enjoy the vibrant colors of glass art and silk scarves. Apparently this area of Italy was and in some cases is still known for their silk works and in particular now, for dying silk that comes in from China.
The ferry then took us on an hour and half boat ride around the middle part of the lake looking at gorgeous villas and stunning views of the mountains that stand on guard above the lake and from what the tour guide said they are the pre-Alps. I never heard of such a thing so that may be her special term.
After a little break in my room to regroup from being outside for so many hours and then off to another delicious dinner. The meals are all served buffet style although I'm told Christmas dinner is sit down. And the staff are so gracious and friendly here and the men serving have been very kind and rather chatty. Most of them I imagine are married but it doesn't keep them from flirting with all the women but like the others I think it's is nice to get all this attention when you're on holiday. And one of our servers, Vali, is especially friendly but I had actually heard about him from three women I chatted with at the bus changing point in Dover. They were headed to Spain this year but were in Como last year and told me to give a server named Vali their regards if he was still here and they had said he was a big flirt which he is. He's only about 5 feet tall but very sweet and makes the rounds regularly to all the tables complementing the women.
Below is a brief history of Como and Bellagio and they're both such interesting towns. And this whole area has a rich history beyond being a playground for the rich and famous. As you'll read below Mussolini was executed not far from where the hotel is.
Then followed the rule of the Rusca family, in1355, which
freely ceded the town to the Visconti. From there on the history of Como
followed that of the Ducato di Milano. It followed the French invasion, then
the Spanish domination until 1900, when the territory was finally taken by the
Austrians.
From internet - "Bellagio is situated upon the extreme cape of the region
that divides the Lake Como in two biforcations. The tourist centre occupies the
extreme part of the promontory, while the numerous districts are disseminated
both along the lake shores and upon the slopes of the hills. The great
Pleistocene freezings with their imposing flows coming from the Valtellina and
Vlchiavenna modelled the actual landscape of the Como lake: for at least four
times the glaciers went as far as the Brianza in the South. From an only
glacial blanket only the highest tops emerged, one of them was the mountain
S.Primo, which obliged the glaciers to divide themselves into two arms: from
this mountain you can see the Lariano Triangle upon which Bellagio rises. The
place, which was frequented in the prehistory, became a settlement in roman
times, when it was the seat , as a hypothesis says, of a villa of Plinio il
Giovane. Iin longobard time it was a fortified place with walls , in comunal
time it lined up with the adverse to Como faction, and then the Visconti
subjugated it and planned the fortifications. Towards the end of the XV century
Ludovico il Moro gave it in feud to the Stanga; after that it passed to the
Sfrondati, who possessed almost all the East side of the lake, and in the 1647
partially to the Airoldi. These and other families built villas and building ,
creating restructured and amplified parks especially in the XVIII century until
when Bellagio became one of the most notorious holiday resort in Europe. Bellagio, placed at the vertix of the Lariano
Triangle, at the base of the promontory which divides the lake into two arms,
the one of Como and the one of Lecco, is one of the most famous and distinguished
holiday resort, with beautiful and noble residences and natural landscape
features of notorious charm."