Happily the sun came out a little here and there throughout the day which gave me lots of energy and I took a long almost 3 hour walk up a different hill to the top where the oldest lookout tower in Karlovy Vary, Goethe's
Lookout (opened in 1889) is located. "The ostentatious belvedere designated for
excursionists is situated at an elevation of 638 meters above sea level on
Výšina věčného mládí (Height of Eternal Youth) south of the city centre. Its
original name was Crown Princess Stephanie's Lookout. It was renamed to
Stifter's Lookout after 1918 - and to Stalin's Look-Out Tower after the
liberation of Czechoslovakia by the Red Army in 1945. The belvedere received
its current name in the 1960’s. The German writer and traveler often visited
the lookout during his mineralogical and botanical walks.
 |
| It started to snow half way up the hill but it only lasted about 20 minutes and it was beautiful to walk through |












The belvedere, which combines a stylish restaurant with a
42-metre high look-out tower (with 165 stairs) offering a matchless view of the
spa, is the work of prominent Viennese architects Fellner and Helmer. Their
names are intertwined with numerous other well-known buildings and structures
in Karlovy Vary, including, among others, the theatre or the Market Colonnade.
Goethe's Lookout was built in 1888 and 1889. The town savings bank, which was
celebrating the 25th anniversary of its existence, provided 35,000 guldens for
the construction. The first people were able to visit the attractive Neo-Gothic
structure just ten months from the commencement of its construction. The
lookout tower welcomed its first visitors on the 21th of July, 1889, i.e.
precisely two years after Crown Princess Stephanie had visited Karlovy Vary.
The lookout tower was named in honor of the grand event.”
 |
| Goethe's Lookout |
 |
| My feet marks in the snow |
While researching for this blog entry I came across a man's college paper on the curative powers of Karlovy Vary and he mentioned this quote by Goethe and it's perfect having just been up to the Goethe lookout. The German poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1794-1832) once wrote, “I owe my very existence to the small town of Karlovy Vary and I am forever indebted for the peace and life that
I have gained”
 |
| Remains of what looked like a fortress of some sort. |
 |
| View to Drahovice (suburb of Karlovy Vary) |
It was a long walk up there about 45 minutes and then the rest of the time I walked the circular path that lead down the other side of the hill past the radio tower which has in front of it a look out hut and three large wooden crosses.
 |
| Someone made a smiley-face sun on the table in the look out cabin near the 3 crosses |
The views were spectacular as I got closer to the exit from the hill closer to town. It's beautiful from every angle and certainly from every hill side that over looks it.
The Holy Trinity Baroque column dating from 1679 was
installed by the citizens of Karlovy Vary to show their gratitude at avoiding
the spread of the plague. It’s located near the steps to the Castle Spa and
towers above the Medusa fountain and I was waiting for a sunny day to photograph them so this morning was the perfect opportunity.
 |
| Holy Trinity Column (Front View) |
 |
| Holy Trinity Column (Side View) |
 |
| Holy Trinity Column (Back View) |
I had my treatments in the afternoon and nothing new lymph-drainage, therapeutic massage, underwater massage. And then I got some time to rest in the sauna which was nice and hot and I sweated out any remaining toxins that could possibly have been in my body. A little time in the pool stretching and then more sweating in the sauna.
 |
| Medusa Fountain (Left Side) |
 |
| Medusa Fountain (Right Side) |
I took a short half hour walk around the town after leaving the spa and before heading back to my room to have dinner and get some rest after a long day of very cold, fresh air.
 |
| My spa - Olympia |